WrinkleysRule

DEM's and Borders the Easy Way

Thanks to @WrinkleysRulefor the awesome tutorial. “Priceless”. As far as the modifiers go. It’s been a few days since I’ve been in blender however I’m pretty sure modifiers will disappear from the side panel once applied. Just giving feedback. 

@Timsp

As bdbssb says once you have applied the modifiers in Object mode they should no longer appear in the side panel either in Edit or Object mode , the fact that the terrain goes flat once you return to the Edit mode  which  points to  a problem in applying the modifiers. I presume also the terrain returns when going bac k to Object mode.

Unfortunately I am still using Blender 2.79 version (until I can get outstanding projects completed ) so I can't test the tutorial in Blender version 2.8 /2.9 at the moment.

Dear all,

Thanks for your comments and feedback! I indeed did something wrong with the modifiers as I did a fresh start reapplied the modifiers from your tutorial in object mode and that fixed the issue.

Tim

@Timsp

Glad you got it sorted, you are not the only one to get caught out with the Object mode only modifier application  especially if the  Display modifier in Edit Mode is selected.

Dear all,

Maybe you have some scaling tips for me on using a Blender model to import in GE. I noticed it with the borders and now a custom road I made when importing into GE. I aligned the imported "Border mesh" to the map "terrain"  and use the same heightmap basis for both, of course cropped different as in the tutorial due to scale.

I then aligned the border to the map  from Blender into GE where X and Z share the same scale up as model is imported very tiny into GE, like at 0.000003  scale.
When then making the roads I exported the "terrain" data first from GE, imported that as object in Blender to ensure fit and made the road with a schrinkwrap to the GE imported generated terrein. Then export the roadmesh from Blender to id3 and import into GE to see how it fits.
 I see the X and Z scaleup is the same , however the height scale Y seems to not fit and requires many tweaking, what i dont get as i used GE terrain in Blender.

Are my thoughts are correct that when I shrinkwrap the road to the GE imported terrain in Blender,  it should match in both Blender and GE right at the same X,Y,Z scaleup? Or is scaling always a matter of tweaking in GE? 

example aligned.JPG

example aligned road wrong.JPG

@Timsp

One important point to note is the export setting in GE --File --Preferences--General--Save and Export as Wavefront OBJ --Scale must be set to 1 every time you update GE (current version 8.2.2 posted 16.11.2020 available here https://gdn.giants-software.com/downloads.php)

Remember the plane you created for your border in the tutorial was 2m x 2m so scaling up would be required (as mentioned in the tutorial)

Final border scaling,  as you have imported your complete terrain into Blender you can import your border into Blender as well  and  scale your border to the correct size, and always Ctrl A set rotation and scale before exporting to i3d

There is always going to be a difference especially in the Z (Y) scale between Blender and GE because of the different way the terrain is transformed/created.

Road Implementation.

The way I do roads is by using the Set Terrain by Height script to flatten the road path first so you have the terrain at the correct level.

There are two methods I use for creating the road system one is the shrinkwrap method you describe  and I haven't had the problem you are describing, though I see from your image you have scaled the road by 5 in all axis.

The other method I use but is a bit more involved  is to convert the spline I used to set the terrain height to a CSV format and import that into Blender and create the road using the curve and array  modifiers

Example from FS17 using Blender 2.79

Terrain adjusted using the mHeightR = mHeight + i/smooth and mHeightL = mHeight - i/smooth settings of the script

ydKNnAQ.png

Note: In the above picture there are two splines, the one marked Original spline is a 2d spline created by just following the road layout on a Google Earth Overlay the second is a 3d spline created from the original spline with more points spaced evenly along the spline for better definition/fit.

Spline Converted to CSV

qKzwbwp.png%20

Road Created in Blender

a0yNigb.png

Final Result

Rw0uEwQ.png

Dear Wrinkley,

Thanks again for the response and pictures! I indeed did not set it to 1 in GE so that helps. 
Further on the roads to set terrein by height script is a great proposal to try out, helps me alot.

For sure will play around with these tips this weekend and really appreciate your feedback!

Tim

@Timsp

You will find the other scripts in the  Set Terrain Height/Placement tutorials  a great time saver as well, but a word of warning on the Set Terrain Height script, it cannot be undone  so always do a backup first (simple way is to make a copy of your map Dem image).

It is always better to experiment with different ways of doing things (on a blank map) and when you find one that works for you, use it and try and improve on it

17 minutes ago, WrinkleysRule said:

@Timsp

You will find the other scripts in the  Set Terrain Height/Placement tutorials  a great time saver as well, but a word of warning on the Set Terrain Height script, it cannot be undone  so always do a backup first (simple way is to make a copy of your map Dem image).

It is always better to experiment with different ways of doing things (on a blank map) and when you find one that works for you, use it and try and improve on it

@WrinkleysRule huge thanks for the detailed help. 

@bdbssb

No problem, will probaly do an  updated Tutorial (have one I done on FS.UK two years ago) on various ways of doing roads at a later date also a quick little update to the Spline Placement script soon just making the random scaling more usable (same random scale on all axis) to avoid squashed and deformed trees items etc.

• Like 1