Create Duplicate Offset Splines

WrinkleysRule

• Wrinkley

Create Duplicate Offset Splines

This is an updated version of an original script by TracMax all I have done is added a simple panel UI and allowed the creation of a new folder (parallelSplines) in the same place as the map.i3d for the newly created i3d and txt files.

As always copyright remains with the originator.

One use of the script is when creating roads/lanes etc as it creates a new spline at the chosen distance parallel to the original so making it easy to add fences/power lines etc aligned to the roadway/lane and also for traffic/pedestrian splines

To install

Download the Parallel Splines Panel.zip (available at the end of the tutorial) unzip and copy/paste into the following directory.

C:/Users/******/AppData/Local/GIANTS Editor 64bit 9.0.6/scripts

Replacing * with your computer name.

Using the script

Select -Script -Parallel Spline Panel in GE --Scripts in the pop up select the spline, enter desired offset and select  Create Offset Spline, a new folder will be created in the same place as the map.i3d called parallelSplines and the newly created spline .i3d will appear in this folder along with a data.txt file for that spline, data.txt file suitable for importing into Blender with the correct alignment using the addOn available here,

https://farmerboysmodding.com/index.php?/topic/2438-blender-plugin-300-and-above-for-splinecsv-data/

The spline name will include the following:- name of spline (in scenegraph) offset value parallel.i3d

e.g. spline02_-10_parallel.i3d     

A message will also be printed in the console log showing the two files have been created in the parallelSplines folder.

New Spline .i3d and .txt files:

spline_20_parallel.i3d and  spline_20_parallelData.txt

created in /parallelSpline Folder

The full file path to the new spline.i3d will also be printed in the log.

Then simply import the required spline into GE in the normal manner and use as required.

Although the spline can be used in conjunction with an existing splineObjects transform group I suggest creating a new splineObjects transform group (Select – Scripts - Spline Placement Combined Panel) otherwise if deleting placedObjects you could delete all previous object placement.

The following image shows the operation and the resultant new files in the folder.

FwL3g9r.png

ParallelSplinePanel.zip

• Thanks 2